Prairie Central District along with SPRA is dedicated to increasing play opportunities throughout Saskatchewan, via education, promotion and coordination of resources. As a result, we have recognized the importance of building leadership skills in young people and mentoring them through a positive and proactive process.
The Take the Lead! Initiative is a resource focused upon leadership skill development and increased physical activity in youth ages 11-14. The purpose of this program is to train and mentor young people so that they can practice leading active play opportunities.
Once they’ve completed Take the Lead! Training, Youth Leaders will have the ability to foster leadership skills within their schools and communities. They will provide more physical activity and active play opportunities for their peers and in the future they will be able to draw upon these skills as they reinvest in our communities.
Take the Lead! Outcomes:
- Youth leaders (ages 11 – 14) demonstrate leadership qualities and self-confidence
- Children are physically active for a minimum of 30 minutes per day in the school environment, to help achieve the goal of 60-90 minutes of physical activity per day
- There are safe active play areas for children
- Increased time dedicated to active, fun play during school recess, noon hour and the after school time period
- Strengthened capacity of schools and communities to support physical activity for children
For more information click here.
If you are interested in bringing the Take the Lead! Initiative into your school please contact Jaret Dezotell