Prairie Central District – Animateur Program/ Sask Culture
Prairie Central was so fortunate to work with SaskCulture in making connections for their Animateur program during 2019 Culture Days. The program supports new communities in hosting a free participatory art event during the National Culture Days campaign held each year during the last weekend in September. The 2019 beneficiary was the Art Nest in Wynyard. Local Artist, Dana Stefanson, organized a series of events in the community centralized around the ideas of “connect & reflect.”
Highlights of the weekend included:
- An open house at the studio where participants were invited to either engage with the many free art supplies available to create as they please or to participate in a community art exchange by creating tradeable art tags.
- Drawing/ Painting class hosted by local Artist, Mel Malinowski, painting old barns and buildings
- A community Drumming Circle hosted by Luz Marina Dominguez, who is a well known musician in town
- Open Mic Night at the Wrecking Bar and Grill
- The final event in Wynyard was the CBC Premiere of “A Kandahar Away.” This documentary had been filmed in the area over the previous 3 years, and the premiere was a big event in town, with approximately 150 people in attendance. The museum committee had participated with the filmmakers and organized the event, including decorating with vintage movie posters and the original signage from the local theatre. It was a wonderful event celebrating the history of our community and its connection to Kandahar, Afghanistan.
- You can’t have a day of art and inspiration without cookies, juice, tea and coffee!
Prairie Central is so thankful for Dana and all her hard work in coordinating this busy fall weekend of art, culture, healing, connecting and reflecting.
report by Aileen Martin, Community Consultant, PCDSCR